Sunday, October 12, 2014

Live Anyway

One of the great privileges and challenges of ministry is that from time to time you get to, or have to, talk about things that make people uncomfortable. There are the main roles you play in the life of your congregation: pastor, preacher, teacher, priest and prophet.  In seminary, they teach you that when you are preaching about uncomfortable things, you are speaking with a prophetic voice.

This doesn’t mean some sort of super-natural prophecy, like that of the poor Cassandra of Greek Myth; doomed to know the future and cursed to have everyone ignore you and think that you are crazy. But in this story lies some of the tension of speaking from the place of the prophetic voice.

It is with that voice that I come to you this morning.

In this season of Autumn where leaves have begun to fall, and final harvests from our home gardens have been reaped, where pumpkins stand guard on front porches, the seasons of life naturally come to mind.

Soon the Earth will turn cold and nothing will grow outside. The animals that can, will hibernate, the rest struggle to find withered, dry cold grass to eat.  Some animals will migrate south for the winter to warmer climates, and some of us will put on warm coats with hats and gloves and tough it out in the kind of luxury our ancestors could scarcely imagine.

The reading that Karl shared with us a moment ago is from a children’s book about dying.  The leaf does not want to die. This however, is the fate of all who begin a life.

Death is merely one more season in a natural life.


Death comes to us in many forms. 


One of the many ways that life doesn’t end in a thirteen note scale, or a major chord is when we are not ready to die. We are not ready to die because we don’t have a sense of completion.

I’d like to share with you some words of Stan Goldberg, author of the book “Lessons for the Living”

My life is tethered to a number few people have ever heard of—a Gleason score of 7. It’s a measure of prostate cancer severity that ranges from a forgettable number 1 to a terminal 9. My lucky 7 pleased me on the cusp of living and dying. Not a particularly comfortable neighborhood to take up residence, but one in which I’m forced to life. During the operation to remove the prostate, my surgeon found that the cancer spread beyond the prostate gland and also into one of the lymph nodes. Three weeks after the operation we jointly decided what to do about it.

“You have two choices,” he said.
“To live or die?” I responded with gallows humor. I only became alarmed when he didn’t smile.
“The first is waiting until the PSA number rises A rising PSA indicates the cancer cells are growing. When it happens we’ll start female hormone therapy. The hormones will reduce your level of testosterone, which feeds the cancer cells.”
“And the second?” I asked.
“To start immediately.”
“Which has the best chance of killing the cancer?”
He replied “Neither.”
Neither? Although he kept talking, it was as if he was speaking an unintelligible foreign language.  Eventually, I heard English again.[1]

Though his words are uniquely his own, the experience of Mr. Goldberg is fairly universal. In my own work as a hospital chaplain, I have been witness to experiences like Mr. Goldberg. In my own work as a parish minister, I have had people for whom I care deeply come to me with a story very much like this.

The average life expectancy for a male in the United States is 76.2 years. For women that expectancy is 81.1 years.[2] There are of course some variations to all of this, but to get into all of that will not serve this morning’s purpose.

First, those numbers are a lot smaller than I thought they’d be, and secondly, I think most of us think of ourselves as above average in general, and probably hope that we’ll be well above average in this one aspect.

I also think that like when a car promises us 35 miles to the gallon, we think “oh, that’s for most people, I’m sure I’ll do better than that.”

But like the gas mileage, in our own lives, we are not in complete and solo control over all the variables involved.

Today there are 53,364 Americans who’ve reached the age of 100, out of a population of 361 million people.[3] The odds are not impossible that you could also reach 100, but you have less than a 0.02% chance of it.


At some point, most of us will have to recognize that we have encountered a diminished capacity in our functioning as a person. This may come in the form of disease or even just plain ol’ old age.

Even though I am not an old man in any sense of the words, unless you’re a ten year old, I have already seen some of this change in myself. When I first heard the words of Bonnie Raitt’s song “Nick of Time”

I see my folks are getting on
And I watch their bodies change
I know they see the same in me
And it makes us both feel strange

No matter how you tell yourself
It's what we all go through
Those lines are pretty hard to take
When they're staring back at you

Scared you'll run out of time.[4]

The words didn’t have too much of a meaning to me. They were nice and poetic, but I was twenty-one then, and my parents bodies hadn’t started to change, let alone my own. Twenty-five years have passed since I first heard this song, and I can tell you that my body has changed, and so have those of my parents.

I’m now older than my Dad was when this song came out.

Again, I say, I’m not old. I have no illusions about that. But I can tell you that about 5 years ago I realized that I had stopped perching on chairs, and really began to sit in them. And I always used to hear this phrase “the blossom of youth,” and I never saw it around me, until I lost it, and then finally I understood what the phrase meant.


It’s in the spirit of recognizing the changing phases of life that causes me to explore this topic of Hospice, and it’s place in our lives.

In the hospital, when a doctor would recommend hospice care to the family of a patient, the family universally became very worried. Hospice, it would seem from the reaction of people means death, and not just death, but a death that will come quickly.

Hospice care does not equal death. In fact hospice care in fact focuses on care, choices comfort and dignity.

Death comes to us all, sometimes suddenly, without warning. Sometimes it comes by our own hand. Sometimes it is a gentle winding down.

The quote from Mr. Goldberg I used earlier is not about immediate death, though at first it is all he can hear, and who could blame him?

One’s mortality is always theoretical, something that will probably happen at some far off date.  And then something like a visit to the doctor’s office seems to change all that.

Of course, it’s not really changed. It isn’t as though Mr. Goldberg, or any of us, assumed that we would never die.

It’s just that a visit like the one that Mr. Goldberg had with his doctor brings the fact of his own mortality into a sharper focus.


One response that Stan Goldberg had to learning of his own, possibly greatly shortened lifespan, is that he became a hospice volunteer at a the Zen Project’s Guest House, George Mark’s Children’s House and three other Bay Area hospice care facilities.

Part of his response to his own suffering was to attend to those who were in even graver danger than he was. His work changed and deepened his life.

Part of why he began to volunteer in hospice work was to diminish his own fear of the unknown. It was not always a smooth and easy path, he reports, but he has spent over a decade as a hospice volunteer to date.




I hope that our own discussion, abbreviated as it may be this morning, will serve to open up this topic so that we, too, can ease our fear of the unknown.

This is something that is somewhat unknown to me, too.  Though I worked alongside nurses trained in hospice care, though my own beloved worked as a hospice chaplain, I have not yet needed it myself.


I do, however, have one personal experience with hospice care.

When my elderly friend Wallace Palmer Rusterholtz was dying, we had hospice care. I saw we, because until we reached a certain point, Wallace had a health care worker, and I was the relief person for that worker. So I spent sometimes 4 or 5 nights a week with Wallace to relieve the home health care worker.  Sometimes I spent entire weekends with Wallace.

I loved Wallace, but I was utterly untrained in caring for the very elderly. I did what I knew how to do, like cooking and cleaning, and reading and entertaining him. I did his shopping, helped him manage his books, etc. There were things that I learned along the way that were part of caring for him that I will not tell you about because to do so would, I feel, violate his dignity.

And then at some point, I don’t remember know when, we turned a corner and we engaged in hospice care. We got a case worker, a team of nurses and a lot of support.

Engaging with a hospice system allowed me to care for my adopted grandfather and mentor. I no longer had to be concerned about a long list of things, I was freer to focus on our relationship and our connection.

I had the comfort of knowing that under proper Medical Care that as Wallace was declining, he never felt a moment of discomfort.

Wallace chose hospice care, at the recommendation I believe of our minister, and he, and I, were grateful.

Rev. Denis will tell you that most people are only in hospice care for 3 hours or less, and as a former hospice chaplain, this drives him crazy. He worries that those who wait until the last minute miss so many benefits of hospice care…care that is focused on comfort and dignity.

What hospice did for Wallace and me was it allowed us the space and time to work toward a death that was not dissonant, but rather resolved.


Wallace chose. He could’ve easily chosen not to, as well.

He had a choice.

As many of us do, about a great many things.


I—for one—hope that when choices come upon you, that you choose the most life-affirming option.

I also hope that I, too will make those life affirming choices more often then not.


When you feel boxed into a corner, into a place of unpleasantness, I hope that you will live anyway; to bravely face what must be faced and make choices that are consistent with your highest values.

Do this at age 20 or age 98.

And at every age in between.

In spite of the hardships of life, the knocking about, the tripping and falling, the disappointments, among all those things… live anyway.


Bless you on this, our shared journey.



[1] Goldberg, Stan. Lessons for the Living. Trumpeter, Boston & London, 2009.
[2] http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html
[3] http://www.census.gov/popclock/
[4] http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bonnieraitt/nickoftime.html

No comments:

Post a Comment